Friday, July 23, 2010

Salad Burnett “Tzatziki” (“pantry tzatziki”)

I grow an herb in my container garden called Salad burnett. It’s easy to grow and looks nice hanging over the edges of the planters. The leaves can be slightly bitter but have a lingering taste of cucumber to them – many articles I’ve found recommend using the leaves in herb butters or for cooling, refreshing flavored waters.
The best way I’ve come up with to use it is to mix it into a yummy tzatziki-type sauce (You might know tzatziki as “gyro sauce” if there’s not a large Greek population in your area). Traditionally tzatziki is made with cucumbers but since I don’t habitually keep cucumbers in the house I like this version because I can use the items that I do tend to have already in the fridge or pantry.
My version is made with fat free yogurt but you could use full-fat if calories are not a concern. Restaurant versions probably are full-fat and in addition are often made with sour cream as well as yogurt. The only fat in the recipe below is the “good fat” from the olive oil (unless you use a different yogurt).
If you have cucumbers go ahead and use those too – grate about 1/2 cup and press them dry with paper towels. Again, I just don’t usually have them around (and when I do have them I usually eat them up in a salad before thinking to make sauce with them).

2 cups plain fat free Greek yogurt (or strained “American” yogurt)
1/2 cup chopped fresh salad burnet leaves
1/2 cup minced or thinly sliced onion
1 tbsp lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic or ¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt and a dash of pepper

Mix everything together, adjust seasoning to taste. Best if allowed to chill in the fridge for a few hours (or overnight) before serving.
You can use this sauce on top of lamb, burgers, falafel, even veggie burgers ; or serve as a dip with some pita chips or potato chips (and maybe a bowl of olives as finger food – yum!).

No comments:

Post a Comment