Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My New Favorite Omelette

Once in a while I try something and it works.
I wanted to make a nice breakfast for my friends and I had some good leftover white wine in the fridge. I made an omelette with fresh herbs from the container garden (oregano, basil, chives, a little lemon balm, and some of the marigold fronds that I posted about below). I took about half of the yolks out of the eggs and discarded those out of habit, then instead of the usual milk or water that I would have beaten into the eggs I added a generous splash of the white wine.

Herbs, eggs, and wine all got whipped up into a nice froth with some salt and pepper and then fried and filled with some gouda cheese I also happened to have in the fridge. I topped it with fresh chives and served with fried squash blossoms and homemade home fries with hominy corn (I was almost out of potatoes so I used a can of hominy to stretch them further).

My sister thinks the wine (and the two citrusy herbs) sound like they wouldn’t be good in eggs but it was a hit with the three I served it to and I’ve made it twice since and friends haven’t complained (and at least one of them is blunt enough to have told me if it wasn’t a good idea). I think it may help that I remove half of the yolks, which might remove some of the strong flavor that can then be replaced with the wine flavor. Also I ran out of gouda and have made it with whatever white cheeses I have at the house… still works.


White wine from Jefferson Vineyards, Charlottesville, VA in my marigold basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment