Friday, July 16, 2010

Fairy Tale Eggplants Grown From Seed

Last year was my first try at growing these pretty little nightshades. I started them indoors from seed (seeds purchased from Park Seeds) and moved them out to the balcony in late May. The flowers were gorgeous but the fruits finally came in long after my tomatoes started producing.

Okay, I thought, these are a late bearing fruit.
I’d better keep that in mind.

Or maybe not; because this year they are the first
ripe fruits coming in from my garden!
Beautiful mini-eggplants striped in my favorite
color, I can’t wait to toss them with some olive oil
and S&P and throw them in the toaster oven set to broil (I am determined to avoid turning on the oven all summer – it's just too hot!)




(Next up to ripen will be these little Gretal eggplants. I think next year I am going to have to get seeds for the variety called "Hansel". It's just too sickeningly cute to have a trio of plants called "Hansel", "Gretal", and "Fairy Tale" out in the container garden.)

No comments:

Post a Comment